Our volunteers are at the heart of our work and are vital to supporting adult education across England and Scotland.
We have around 1,900 volunteers who take on a staggering variety of roles including:
- Branch members who arrange and promote local courses through the extensive branch network
- Community Outreach volunteers who promote the value of adult learning, particularly in disadvantaged communities
- Classroom support volunteers who help students develop essential skills or support individuals with specific physical or learning difficulties
- Class Secretaries and Learner Representatives who provide a conduit for feedback from students
- Activists who organise promotional and fundraising events
- Volunteers who take on formal governance roles. Each WEA region and Scotland has its own governance committees, all of which rely upon the contribution of time and expertise from volunteers with local knowledge and a passion for lifelong learning. At a national level, the WEA is governed by the Trustee body who are all volunteers.
You can get a flavour of the kind of activities undertaken by downloading our volunteer leaflet.
Please also read our volunteer policy and code of conduct here.
All activities enable volunteers to develop their own skills and interests and can lead to long-standing friendships, more active social participation and, for some volunteers, employment. If you would like to enquire about getting involved as a WEA volunteer then email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your nearest regional office.
Meet Peter who has been volunteering for the WEA for more than forty years.
Meet Penny who has grown her love for history and art - with the WEA for the last 25 years.
Meet the WEA Ambassadors
Our WEA Ambassador role is aimed at anyone who can talk informally, passionately and realistically about the challenges and rewards of studying as an adult. The role involves contributing to the communication of WEA priorities, fundraising and supporting student and membership recruitment. If you know of anyone that you think would want to fulfil this type of volunteer role, then please complete the nomination form here and send to the volunteering mailbox at email@example.com
A role profile is also included here with further detail of what is expected of the role and how we will support the ambassadors going forward.